- VLT Labs
- March 2015
GoGet is a community-focused errands and delivery marketplace, starting life in the founders’ hometown of Kuala Lumpur and recently expanding to Hong Kong.
GoGet began in 2014, with the aim of matching those with complementary resources. This exchange between equals, within a safe platform, is what the team at GoGet strive to build. They were already up and running with an MVP when we met in early 2015 and I was tasked with furthering both the brand and the service. My involvement with GoGet could be broken down into three parts: Identity, Product (webapp), and the public facing website.
Up until this point, GoGet were working with a logo they had drawn up internally. As both founders readily admitted, neither have design leanings and this simply just a stop-gap. In my opinion, there were three problems with the existing identity: the wordmark didn’t convey the product, the constituent parts weren’t unified and the colours didn’t compliment each other too well.
As Francesca explains to Bloomberg.tv, GoGet is more ‘logistics and human resource’ than straight-up tech. After the first meeting it was clear that ‘speed’ and ‘dispatch’ needed to be primarily communicated in the new identity.
A → B
When driving around (or rather being driven around) KL, I had always been drawn to the markings I’d seen on the side HGV’s hauling materials around the city, taking photographs of them as I do with other bits of interesting type. I hit upon the idea of using these to inform the new identity.
A note about changing brand colours: When possible, I would attempt to carry brand colours thorough a refresh. More than any other ingredient, colours build familiarity, and are the most jarring change to get used to (think hunting for the Foursqaure icon after their refresh). In this case, the change was justified, even crucial. Being a compound of regular English words, it’s perhaps not surprising that there’s another company operating under the same name: a car sharing service in Australia. They were using this same blue/orange palette and although the two companies aren’t stepping on each others’ toes (in function or proximity), the close ties of the two countries meant we needed to be a distinct as possible visually.
I used a modified version of Google Ventures’ Design Sprint methodology to dig in and conduct research to figure out where the app was failing. Crucially, this was conducted with the product owners, with everyone’s input valued and the founders' insights extensively called upon.
We decided there were two separate user journeys, GoGetter (‘I run errands’) and Poster (‘I need someone to run an errand’) with the ability for the user to switch between the two. These distinct use cases offered us two well defined personas to work with. As we only had 3 months with GoGet, we had to hone in on one journey per persona: Create a job + Claim a job.
When sketching out possible interfaces, I figured the multiple stages for creating a new job could be whittled down into one view, with the most common options preselected. The best way to communicate this was to use paper prototypes. These were great at getting the point across without spending too much time crafting things that might not be taken forward.
One crucial part to this flow is letting the GoGetter know how much they’ll need to cover the cost of the transaction (to be reimbursed upon completion). This is straightforward with set prices and prior knowledge, but without those, a rough estimate is all that’s possible. If you were to ask someone in real life to run an errand for you, the natural flow would be to give them enough money to cover the errand, with increments of note denominations. Using this as a starting point, I came up with this payment interaction.
As I mentioned earlier, we only had 3 months with GoGet and there was only a certain amount we could accomplish in that time. With the know-how and expertise of a team, it made sense to tackle the most pressing and complex problems first. This meant putting the public facing / on-boarding pages on the back burner.
Fast-forward to 2016 and I was back in England and more experienced in service design. I still wanted to tackle those pages as it wasn’t reflecting well on anyone involved. Fortunately, Fran and Fung were willing to take some time out to entertain this. The following collaboration was conducted over Skype with their marketing team.
|✗||It doesn’t work on mobiles||Technical|
|✗||Doesn't reflect the quality of the service||Cosmetic|
|✗||Hard to find things||Informational|
|View screenshots of the original site on Google Drive.|
A Singular Hero
GoGet's public face is fairly conventional in its layout. A hero image introduces each page, with content modules sitting below. Whilst marking up the third hero module, I felt I could DRY this all out, despite having different content on each of them (and a carousel on one).
The public face is currently being rolled out but you're able to view the staging site, which is pretty much there.